Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm officially going to Cape Town!

I just found out yesterday that I was selected as a recipient for the Metropolitan Design Center travel fellowship for which I applied back in February.

I AM SO EXCITED!

The jury recommended that I get a passport as soon as possible, so I ordered one today. It was kinda weird - it just seemed a bit unofficial when I was in the post office. I wrote the passport fees into my budget for the application, so I hope that I am able to get them covered since they are rather expensive. I should get the passport anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

The jury also recommended that I select a faculty mentor, and specifically suggested Ozayr Saloojee. I e-mailed him today requesting his support. He is great: I spoke to him when I was working on my application because he grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa (which is where I was originally thinking of going). He was super helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable, so I hope he agrees to be my mentor.

Some fellow architecture students (none in Studio II) will be going to Africa this summer as well, right about when I will be there. They're going to Malawi to assist in the designing of a school there, but some of them may travel individually to other parts of Africa after their commitment ends. I am trying to get some of them to come visit me in Cape Town. I think it'd be a ton of fun.

I am seriously so excited. I have a lot of work to do between now and the time I leave, and I am stressed about it. But it's going to be so worth it. Seriously, when again will I have a chance like this? Probably never. This is going to be awesome.

No comments: