Monday, July 28, 2008

Sea Point Pictures


It's a common sight to see people sleeping on the ground, even during the day, like this man here.


There's lots of little construction projects going on all around the city.


Is it any wonder I chose this city to come to on my fellowship?


Robben Island, seen from the mainland, where Nelson Mandela was held in prison for 27 years. I hope to make it out to the island before I leave Cape Town.


Banners mark Green Point as a place for urban revitalization, what I'm studying here in Cape Town.


A school in Sea Point I walked past. As far as I know, all schools here (both private AND public) require uniforms.


Decorative lighting in Sea Point serve no real purpose. In my opinion, this is money that could've been better spent.


The beaches are really rocky in Sea Point and therefore not good for swimming. :(


Me! haha


Mountains are almost always visible in the city, except when obscured by clouds or fog, or blocked by the buildings.


Lion's Rump overlooking the Strand/Buitengragt intersection. This intersection is where all the newsies hang out, trying to sell the various city newspapers to pedestrians and people in cars alike. Today I saw a woman with a package of plastic hangers chasing after a woman driving past, trying to sell them to her.


I still look the wrong way when I'm crossing the street. I look what would be the correct way in the US, but they drive on the opposite side of the street here. It's easier when it's a one-way street.


More hotels overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.


The new stadium being built for the World Cup in 2010, in Green Point, Cape Town.


Near the new stadium. Nothing says "Welcome to Cape Town for the World Cup!" like barbed wire.


Cape Town: Beaches and natural beauty, and restriction through walls and barbed wire.


Signal Hill in the background, looking down Beach Road.


Cape Town's lighthouse, built in 1824.


Hotels facing the Atlantic Ocean in the touristy part of town.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Signal Hill looks picturesque!
You should take a pic of city from it!

Kamran said...

Sweet, those are nice pictures. Thanks Beth. I'll have to add your blog to my Reader so I can keep up, I like seeing different countries.

Subscribe to me too! http://kamranayub.com/

-Kamran